Wednesday, April 9, 2008

I'm a Big Kid Now!


Typically, most moms would sing this title when their kids potty train, but as you know, we conquered that weeks ago. So what could it be? I'm sure you're a little thrown off by the picture. Kailey threw out her binky yesterday! She hasn't had it for almost a year now, except for when she's in her crib, but Dan and I felt like it was time to get rid of it all together. So, yesterday at nap, I asked her if she still needed it. I explained that big girls, don't need binkys, only little babies like Owie. Well she wouldn't have any of that, and said she still wanted it, so I put it in her mouth, and told her that not today, but soon, we would throw it in the garbage. We left it at that. When she woke up from her nap she said "binky in garbage." So, we went downstairs and she tossed it in. I was so proud of her! When Dan came home, I told him that Kailey was a big girl and she chimed in that she had thrown her binky in the garbage - I didn't even prompt her, she just knew that, that was why she was a big girl. Well night time came, and I don't think she wanted to be a big girl anymore. As soon as bed time was mention, she headed for the garbage to find her binky. I purposefully put yucky garbage on top (that I had to push aside for your viewing pleasure) so I wouldn't be tempted to get it out. Well, bedtime took about an hour longer than usual. She never makes a fuss to go down, but without that binky was a different story. I would occasionally go in her room, try to calm her down (she was sobbing pretty good) and remind her of what a big girl she was, and how proud I was. It was heartbreaking, but I'm glad we've taken this first step. Wish me luck today at nap and bed time.

6 comments:

Jamie said...

is there supposed to be a picture because I would love to see it. Good for Kailey, I need to throw out Brooklyn's.

larrasheppard said...

Congratulations, I hope all goes well.

Anonymous said...

Wahoo Kailey - Hurray Mommie....way to go both of you!!!!

Casee said...

Good luck! I can't believe it, she is growing up so fast!

Elizabeth said...

I've been thinking about when to do this with Isaiah, and I am kind of dreading it, too. I'm not sure that I'm going to start that for awhile, but I'm thinking I'll just go the cold turkey route as well. :)

How have the last couple of days gone?

Lucrecia said...

All of these fun new posts! Your pics of your kitchen are really great! They really show how nice it looks. I must admit that I am very jealous of your backsplash.